Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Edward until I find my Edward.

I'm not a scholar by any stretch of anyone's imagination, and I certainly do not count myself among those who are considered poets. But I am a decent writer, and in my decent writing I will elaborate on one of the most enigmatic and marvelous human beings I have ever met in my 22 years of existence.

Dustin Ashley Beam swept into my life in June of this year when we were both cast in a production of Godspell. I was at a point in my life where I didn't really know where I belonged (I was living with my engaged friends, I had just broken up with this guy, I hated my job) and having the show to escape to was something I was looking forward to. The only downside was that I didn't know a single person on cast and they all seemed to know each other. Luckily they were incredibly welcoming and lovely people and made me feel as though I fit in from the start. There were a couple castmates that I always viewed as being more talented and cooler than me; Jen, Jeremy, Duane and of course Dustin. I think he would agree with me when I say we were wary of each other in the beginning. I tend to shy away from those who are the center of attention (he doesn't demand it, people just seem determined to pay it too him) and I'm sure I looked a little different from everyone else, I kept to myself quite a bit at first which could have been interperated as coldness. Either way it took me a while to get to the point where I felt like I could approach him......it sounds like we're dating. And to be completely honest I'm not all that sure how it happened. I remember the two of us forming our first Megan and Dustin bubble during a movie when we saw Dark Knight and after that it somehow became a ritual for us to brush our teeth together before a show, which I still miss.

I was terrified after the show ended that I would never hear from him again, like a guy who takes you on the best date of your life and then never calls. But of course he did.

Dustin is easily one of the best people I know. He loves absolutely and unselfishly, a quality many people wish they had. He never truly lost his childlike wonder and because of that I am constantly in awe of him. That ability to never allow himself to become jaded or cynical is a wonderous thing. He is completely comfortable in his own skin and knows he is a talented man who has much to offer the world. But in the eyes of those that love him solely on who and what he is, he is what you want your son to grow up to be, he is who you hope your soulmate emmulates, he is everything a best friend is and should be. He makes me a better person. It really is too bad that he likes men also because if he didn't I would marry him. But instead I will settle for him being one of my best friends.

Dustin, you said I was your find of 2008, well you my love are just my find. Because there isn't anyone like you in the whole universe. I love you.

1 comment:

Dustin Ashley Beam said...

I am speechless. I need to think this over. I love you and thank you for your infinite kindness.